My 30 years in drug discovery provide substantive hands on and leadership experience to provide consultancy services. This career encompassed work across all stages of the discovery process from programme initiation, through hit/lead identification and optimisation to candidate selection across many targets and therapeutic areas.
I am recognised for pioneer work in using combinations of efficiency metrics and physicochemical properties in assessing progress, which together can be used to objectively assess quality, benchmark progress and facilitate decision making on compound series. The use of such principles demonstrably increases the chances of success in drug discovery through more objective design and decision making. My clients span start-ups though mid-sized companies and CROs to big pharma.
Disruptive thinking and challenging either the status quo or enforced deployment of technology/methods dressed up as “innovation” are second nature to me. I learned to curiously test and evaluate opportunities – with the help of colleagues and engaging with experts to understand real value. Over the years, judicious application of computational methods and technologies with realistic expectations was an integral part of my work.
Teaching, nurturing and mentoring others is a great passion, with wide experience through line/project management responsibilities, including CASE/Industrial PhD/placement students and delivering lectures and workshops tailored to a variety of audiences.
- What is meant by the term Innovation? – a much abused term!
Innovation = the process of translating an idea or invention into something that creates value or meets an unmet need.
The key point is defining the problems and opportunities – is is not the application of new techniques or techology for the sake of it!
“If I had an hour to solve a problem, I’d spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.” – Albert Einstein
- What might Blue Burgundy Consulting do for you?
- Honesty, Integrity and Objectivity
- Curiosity, Courage and Challenge – the role as a critical friend!
- Can you benchmark how well your research is progressing?
- What are the properties and efficiency metrics of your compounds?
- Exploiting Artificial Intelligence and disruptive thinking
- A realistic appraisal (wide experience with computational methods and models).
- Strong track record of challenging dogma, working against the grain and thinking outside of the conventional approaches.
- Fifteen years ago, Physical Properties remained “out of the box thinking” to those wedded to the pursuit of potency!
“Rules are for the Obedience of Fools and Guidance of the Wise“ – attributed to Douglas Bader’s commanding officer.
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”
― Pablo Picasso
Nurturing and mentoring the next generation
- Teaching, nurturing and mentoring colleagues and the next generation of scientists is a great passion of mine, with wide experience through line/project management responsibilities, plus CASE/Industrial PhD students, Industrial placements and University lectures. Honorary visiting Professor, University of St Andrews
“The lesson for all, especially after 50: Be Johann Sebastian Bach, not Charles Darwin.”
Your professional decline is coming sooner than you think, become a mentor like Bach, instead of mourning your fading abilities like Darwin.
Arthur C. Brooks, The Atlantic – quoted in Nature